The SDK for Series 60 Platform 3rd Edition, available during 2nd quarter of 2005, will provide developers with phone emulator, documents and sample application code and will be part of a bundled offering that includes a free, 90 day trial version of Code Warrior for Symbian OS, Professional Edition v3.0, a new addition to the Symbian OS-based portfolio of development tools from Forum Nokia.
Series 60 Developer Platform 3rd Edition enables developers to create "smarter" applications for better user experience and more efficient development, and offers an enhanced security model that provides better protection for valuable applications and content. The new features of Series 60 Platform 3rd Edition will make it the platform for the mid-range, volume segment, resulting in greater opportunities for developers of Series 60-based applications and services.
The Series 60 Platform 3rd Edition, based on the state-of-the-art Symbian OS v9, introduces a hard real-time kernel which allows manufacturers to build Symbian OS devices based on a single core processor.
Forum Nokia's Developer Platform strategy unites groups of devices with common parameters and APIs, offering developers volume opportunities across a range of handsets with minimal customization. By the end of December 2004, Nokia had cumulatively shipped close to 180 million devices based on Series 40, Series 60 and Series 80 developer platforms worldwide.
"Series 60 Developer Platform 3rd Edition increases the opportunity available from the best-selling, open smartphone platform," said Lee Epting, Forum Nokia vice president. "It combines long-term stability with an exciting collection of new features bringing considerable benefits to the entire Series 60 community. Nokia remains committed to raising the bar, pushing technical limits and enabling developers to create new markets. Series 60 Platform 3rd Edition is a major milestone on this continuing journey."
At the global GSM industry summit in Cannes, Forum Nokia also is highlighting its developer tool supporting the latest Symbian(TM) OS. The new "CodeWarrior Development Studio for Symbian OS" Version 3.0, supporting C/C++ development for Symbian OS v9 supports every stage of Symbian OS software development, from device creation to commercial aftermarket software applications from 3rd party vendors.
In addition to the OEM and Professional versions of CodeWarrior for Symbian OS available for immediate download, Forum Nokia also announced CodeWarrior for Symbian OS - Personal Edition, Version 3.0, available during 2Q 2005. This Personal edition of CodeWarrior for Symbian OS is an affordable tool designed for developers of applications for phones based on Series 60 Platform and Symbian OS. It contains the same powerful suite of CodeWarrior application development tools used by many Symbian OS licensees, delivering to developers worldwide a comprehensive package of technology to build native C++ applications for Symbian OS phone.
World-class applications for Nokia's developer platforms also will be highlighted at 3GSM World Congress 2005. Members of Forum Nokia PRO, which provides specialized support for advanced mobile developer companies, will demonstrate a wide range of applications at the Forum Nokia PRO stand (Hall 4, K22). A special mobile internet site has been created, Forum Nokia PRO Mobile, which includes exclusive information about the Forum Nokia PRO developers that are at the Forum Nokia Stand. To visit Forum Nokia PRO Mobile, open the following address in your mobile phone's browser: www.nokia.com/forumnokiapro.
New and exciting third-party applications for Nokia Platforms that will be on display include:
- Photos to Friends, enabling private sharing, blogging and messaging of camera phone and digital camera photos, from www.futurice.com
- MobileKeeper, a client-server application that enables operators to guarantee safekeeping of increasing volumes of valuable information stored on subscribers' phones from www.mobicomp.com
- PanoMan, camera phone image "stitcher" that composes photos to an impressive panorama, resulting in an up to 360° view of a scene, from www.bit-side.com
- Mobile music maker, 4-track audio loop arranger that enables any user to create real ringtones in seconds, including their own vocals and sounds, from www.magix.net
- Visto Mobile, email solution delivering an immediate, background, true-push email, contacts and calendar service, ensuring continuous synchronization with a back-end server, from www.visto.com
- ESPN Bassmaster "Legendary Lunkers," realistic simulation game with call-back alert when fishes bite, from www.dwango.com
- Digitizer³ turns camera phone into a scanner, allowing document acquisition for high ARPU professionals, from www.realeyes3d.com
- Thierry Henry Pro European Football, action-packed simulation with teams from 16 European nations, ultra simple controls and an instant replay option, from www.mforma.com
- Super-Bomberman, a new version of popular mobile edition of the legendary "Bomberman" game, with advanced graphics, sounds and play mode, from www.livingmobile.com